Sergio Ramos’ ankle injury is ‘not a problem’ during training, says Spain boss Luis Enrique, who insists he will ‘take care’ of the Real Madrid captain while away on international duty
- Spain boss Luis Enrique has given an injury update on skipper Sergio Ramos
- Ramos has recovered from an ankle injury that saw him miss win over Celta Vigo
- The defender is returning to full fitness and has trained with the Spain squad
- Enrique says he will ‘take care’ of the Real captain during the international break
Spain boss Luis Enrique has revealed that Sergio Ramos has ‘no problems’ with his ankle injury that saw him miss Real Madrid’s 3-1 win over Celta Vigo at the weekend.
Ramos, who had only just returned from knee surgery, picked up the ankle knock soon after, which saw him become a doubt for his country’s upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Greece, Georgia and Kosovo.
However, after training with his Spain team-mates twice this week, Enrique insists his skipper is good to go and promises to ‘take care’ of the 34-year-old during the international break.
Sergio Ramos (above) has had ‘no problems’ with his ankle injury in training, says Luis Enrique
‘We are going to take into account the physical form of each player,’ Enrique told reporters.
‘In the case of Sergio Ramos, who comes from an injury and a blow, we are going to take care of him. He trained very well yesterday and today he has done the same, no problem.’
Ahead of a packed summer schedule for Ramos, his fitness is now more important than ever, especially when it is considered that he looks set to head for the exit at Real Madrid.
The Spain boss insists he will ‘take care’ of the 34-year-old, who is returning to full fitness
Ramos entered the final 100 days of his deal at the Bernabeu on Tuesday, with talks over his future at an impasse.
Marca claim that Ramos has not spoken with Real president Florentino Perez since December, although he has not formally rejected the contract offer made to him earlier in the season.
It is said that the veteran defender wants a longer deal, having been offered a one-year extension with a 10 per cent pay cut because of the financial implications of the coronavirus pandemic.
Many of Ramos’ team-mates have accepted similar terms, but the Spaniard is said to have concerns over his wages and the length of the contract on offer.
Ramos (right) took part in training on Tuesday with his Spain team-mates
The 34-year-old and his compatriots train ahead of their World Cup qualifiers
Marca report that Perez is weighing up his options when it comes to Ramos, and could be more willing to let him go if he manages to sign David Alaba.
The Bayern Munich defender has confirmed he will leave the Bundesliga giants on a free transfer this summer, although his reported wage demands of £400,000 a week could be an issue. Chelsea, Barcelona and Liverpool have also been credited with an interest in the Austrian.
Ramos, meanwhile, is still open to extending his stay at the Bernabeu, but only if he receives an improved offer before the end of the season.
‘There’s no news on my renewal, I’d like there to be,’ he said last week, despite reportedly being offered a big money contract by PSG earlier this year.
Marca claim that Ramos and president Florentino Perez, pictured after Real’s LaLiga trophy presentation last summer, have not spoken about his contract in three months
Ramos has reportedly been offered a big-money contract to join PSG on a free transfer
Marca claim that Perez and the rest of Real’s board are safe in the knowledge that the offers Ramos has received from other clubs haven’t met his expectations.
The 34-year-old, who is likely to be approaching his final years at the top of the game, wants his next deal to reflect his status as one of Europe’s best defenders.
Ramos has reportedly been set a deadline to give Real a firm answer on his future, at which point the club will decide on what defenders – if any – they look to sign in the summer transfer window.